Ripon Cathedral today is the fourth to have stood on it's site. In AD 672, St Wilfrid brought stone masons, plasterers and glaziers
over from France and Italy to build his great basillica.
The church was devastated by the English King in AD 948 as a warning to the Archbishop of York. Only the crypt survived, and today the
tiny 7th Century chapel is still there, intact beneath the later grandeur of Archbishop Roger de Pont l'Evêque's 12th Century minster.
A second minster was built, but also soon perished in 1069 by William the Conqueror. The building of a third church was instigated by Thomas
of Bayeux, the first Norman Archbishop of York.
Additions and building work were being carried out, but had to be postponed due to the War of Roses until after the accession of Henry VII
and the restoration of peace in 1485.
The minster finally became a Cathedral in 1836.
Ripon Cathedral Office
Liberty Court House
Tel: 01765 603462